Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Somethin's fishy here . . . but I love it!

With the cabinets I inherited in my little 72 square foot kitchen in my 390 square foot condo I had nothing to lose by experimenting on the doors. Without the means to create an entirely new kitchen, I'm working what I call the ungeputched method— Work with what I have, spend as little as possible on the things a can . . . Hey, this is starting to sound like the Struggling Interior Designer's version of the Serenity Prayer, "God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I can't afford; Courage to do something, anything I can; and the Vision to make it look good!" Awomen. (tired of saying "Amen," if you don't mind)

My last entry chronicled my new Curava recycled glass counter tops that I purchased from Merrimack Stone in Merrimack NH. But I needed to do something to the cabinets to match the pizazz of the stone. So I found this paper at Paper Source called Flora and Fauna Marine Fish & Irish Algae Wrapping Paper and I took my tired, boring laminated cabinet doors and dropped them to the bottom of the sea, figuratively, that is. I used Mod-Podge as my primary adhesive and sealer and finish coat. After about four more coats of Modge Podge that will cure over the next few days, I will seal it with an acrylic sealer. Even with all my practice of making collages, I still found that I couldn't get all the paper covering the doors perfectly flat, but with the active pattern and the underwater theme, and lots of sealer, they look terrific! I think.
As you can see, I took off the larger door on the one cabinet that had adjustable shelving, covered the shelves with a coordinating paper and glued a sheet of the paper in the back of the cabinet to carry on the theme. I especially love the drawer fronts on the base cabinet on the opposite wall. Now the next project is to finish off the back splash with some tile. I'm thinking glass tiles or something I saw tonight at the Home Depot. It's not cheap but I only need a few square feet and I think it will finish it off. Check back soon to see if I've been able to do it.

4 comments:

  1. love. I wish more people took risks with their decor...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Necessity and a skinny wallet help birth creative solutions that pull me out of the "usual," and when that happens I have so much fun. Making my fish cabinets was an adventure. I'm going to put some glass tiles on the space between the recycled glass top and the bottom of the cabinets but I've got to pull the money together to buy the tiles next. So glad you found my blog and took the time to say hello. I hope you'll follow my blog and I'll read yours and follow yours, too.
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incredible job, your choice of paper is beautiful and I love that you didn't create any waste. Nice countertop too, I'm also planning recycled glass in my kitchen renovation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for writing, Betty. How did you happen upon my blog? I like your philosophy of using what you already have as much as possible.
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete