Wednesday, April 17, 2013

From bouyant anticipation to anguish


When I posted those happy photos of marathon hopefuls on April 14, like the subjects in my photos, I had no idea of the horror that was going to strike my neighborhood. Away for the weekend, I became aware of the attacks only after receiving a call from a concerned friend who asked if I was OK and then told me about the explosions near the finish line. I stayed glued to the TV for the next few days.

Last night when I got off the commuter rail at Yawkee Station I walked to my apartment which is just outside the "crime scene." It wasn't until early this morning when I tried to go to Trader Joe's and to view the results of the attack that I was still banned from entering the zone. The images I am posting today were just a tiny bit of what I saw. The paper (above) taped to the fence at the corner of Massachusetts Ave. and Boylston St. was the first thing I saw. I was able to enter the Prudential center from the Huntington Avenue side and from the food court looking out toward Boylston I could see that all the stores, including Trader Joe's and Staples were all closed.

Later this morning I'll be heading to North Station and boarding another commuter line to Andover. I'm sure I'll see many signs of Boston's current state of heightened security.




No comments:

Post a Comment