Friday, January 14, 2011

We've got white peaks, too . . .

Not the kind my friends in Boston are experiencing, the white peaks I saw late this afternoon in South Pasadena were the peaks of tents under which I found a wide variety of fruits, vegetables and a huge assortment of tastes from many different cultures.

I had intended to take a disciplined walk around the Rose Bowl (3.3 miles) but when I arrived there some letters that were supposed to be mailed yesterday fell out of my car's visor and since it was 4:15 p.m. I figured I'd just find a mail box with a 5 p.m. pick up and go back to the Rose Bowl for my walk, but that's obviously not what happened. Here in LA mail boxes are sparse. I drove at least five miles before I found one and by then I was in South Pasadena on Mission St. Finding a parking space was another matter but I persisted. After finding the mailbox and making my way back to the car I noticed signs announcing a Farmer's Market 4-8 p.m. I followed the crowds heading there and found myself on a closed off street where at least fifty tents were pitched with lots of vendors.

Bolani vendor with lots of free samples

I got some exotic greens, sampled lots of great, mostly organic foods, Afghan bolani breads and sauces, and even some amazing ice cream. I couldn't resist the taste of Carmela's Mint Cacao Nib flavor so I bought myself a tiny helping of that which left a pleasant aftertaste on the tongue of fresh cream. Hmm. Where'd my fitness routine go today? I'll pick it up tomorrow.

James invited me to taste multiple ice cream flavors

The Metro stops right at the edge of this farmer's market that takes place all year around on Thursday afternoons. You can tell by the huge numbers of families and little kids that it's a favorite outing and many booths cater to the kids.

A great statue appears to be running for the Metro


A medley of three kinds of potatoes and (below) in another tent a huge medley of mushrooms


No comments:

Post a Comment