Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Somewhere under the rainbow people shine . . .

As I walked home from a meeting on Peterborough Street past the Victory Gardens heading toward the Prudential, the light shining through the rain told me there had to be a rainbow somewhere. Once I hit Boylston Street, there it was, a double rainbow, too. Everyone stopped to record the phenomenon with their smart phones. Everyone smiling, chatting with strangers at the miracle. Happiness everywhere. What is it about a rainbow that makes us all giddy?
If you look closely you can see the second, fainter rainbow arching across the sky.


4 comments:

  1. That's a great question, Deborah. Why do we get so giddy?! Maybe because it's such a surprise and also (for me) hard to understand how it can even exist--a rainbow--with every primary color, in an arc....I wonder why waking up to Sea Gulls every morning makes me so happy and why it's new every morning, like, "How did I get so lucky to have a natural alarm clock??!! In the case of a Boston rainbow, maybe there's more meaning now, but it wouldn't make one giddy, I don't think....Boston Strong....we are PREVAILING, yes we are!! And this rainbow is a symbol of it, and not just "a" rainbow, but RAINBOWS!! Love your pictoral blogs, D., of Boston. Thank you for the pictures and your time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Linda, for your comment. Yes, I did think of that tonight. Rainbows tell me everything is going to be all right again. Just finished reading a Wikepedia entry that explains what makes the rainbow—low sun through raindrops refracting light. The perfection of the arc softens all the harshness around, too. I'm going to try to hit the sheets now and get some sleep. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  2. P.S. to clarify: the rainbow would make me giddy; the contrast with the Boston Marathon events (i.e., the "more meaning") is what would fail to make me giddy. Oh my, how complicated things can be if you don't read them before sending!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Comment away, Linda! I wish more of my friends who comment on FB would go to the actual blog and comment there as you have tonight/this morning. Stay in touch

      Delete