Sunday, May 10, 2009

City Gardens, Classic Crosswalks




Today's walk in Cambridge brought me by an exquisite jewel of a garden on Concord Avenue, just on the corner where Buckminster intersects with Concord. I've watched this tiny garden grow and change over the years. Since moving from Cambridge to Boston, though, I hadn't seen it for quite and while, so when it came into my view, I had to document it for you.
Crossing the newly painted cross walk bands brought back the memory of a trip to Pompeii where the crosswalks started as huge granite chunks of stone set into the roads that kept pedestrians elevated above the garbage as they crossed the roads. The spaces between the parallel stones allowed chariot wheels and wagons to cross as they approached from intersecting roads. Quite amazing that something we take so for granted has its roots so far back.

No comments:

Post a Comment