Friday, October 19, 2012

From Rome to Todi . . .

A two hour, 10 Euro bus ride on the Sulga bus line brought me from Rome's Tiburtina Bus Station Terminal to the center of Todi, a medieval town perched on the top of a hill in the heart of Umbria. Steeped in history, stone, and the sounds of the Italian language all around me, this town is recharging my psychic batteries. Still sorting through jetlag sleeping issues, it's after 3 a.m. this morning and all the pictures I was planning to add will have to wait for another posting.

Friday, October 19......a few more images.
Getting around in Rome is not too complicated but it wasn't easy while schlepping too much baggage. I had planned to travel light but didn't begin that creative composition until the 11th hour so ended up with too much and not enough time to trim it down. A famous writer once apologized to his fellow writer friend by writing, "Please forgive this lengthy, rambling letter since I didn't have time to write you a short one!"  That's how I feel about my packing performance for this trip. But there's no one to apologize to, only my overworked back and shoulders. I'm grateful that I'll be staying put for a while now. Here are some images from Rome to Todi that I couldn't get in last night. Enjoy.
Bay after bay of buses come and go at Tiburtina bus terminal just a few minutes walk from the Tiburtina T stop and train station. An easy walk if you don't have a lot to carry. I was relieved to learn there was an elevator to bring me up to street level but it was out of order.
The cafe/bar at the bus terminal in Tiburtina.

Tiburtina bus station toilet. Clean but not my favorite way to do knee bends—And it cost 65 cents in Euros to use it.


The Sulga bus from Rome to Todi. There were only 4 passengers and I got to the station 90 minutes early to be sure I got a ticket. Very comfortable ride.
The Todi Opera House. Apparently, the production of La Traviate was supposed to have been gorgeous but it was long gone by the time I arrived.

Yesterday morning a misty cloud settled over the valley and moment by moment burned off under the sun revealing the Umbrian glory all around.

This is me sitting at a table in the restaurant that belongs to the opening image of this blog posting. The sun was beating on my back sending its healing warmth through my whole body. I could feel myself unwinding and refueling as I waited for my pizza lunch.






4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're there! You'll come back recharged and refreshed. BTW, wish I were there with you, Deborah. Have GREAT TIME! Buon viaggio!! Buon divertimento! (that last one probably isn't right, but it's been a while since I spoke Italian. . .)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for writing, Claire. Still trying to get the sleeping piece straight. It's 4 a.m. and I woke up about an hour ago....will try to get back to sleep....hardly a price to pay for all the nurturing stimulation during daylight hours.

      Delete
  2. Wow, beautiful pictures of the countryside, Deb. Amazing views from that restaurant. I'm very happy that you've made it! I hope that your time there does, indeed, charge your batteries and that you soak it all in. I send you love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, David for all your love and support which goes a long way to dispell the fears of becoming a bag lady for investing in a vacation instead of retirement. I guess it's an investment in my memory bank that I can dip into in the future with great delight.
      Love,
      Deb

      Delete