Monday, August 3, 2009

The Cloisters help slow things down


My brief NYC visit included some down time on the grounds of the Cloisters Museum and Gardens which is a branch of the Metropolitan Museum of Art devoted to medieval art. Since it's in the Washington Heights section of Manhattan it was an easy commute from my son's apartment which sits at the base of Fort Tryon Park.



While Aaron soaked up some afternoon sun allowing his body to decompress after his accident, I wandered around the courtyards, gardens, and hallways of this sanctuary of medieval treasures including a room of tapestries dedicated to the history and mythology of the unicorn.
Some of the gardens, especially the herb gardens, had a wild, overgrown appearance.

As always, though, I was drawn to the details everywhere I turned. Here are a few of them.

The last image (above) is a detail from a 1300 sepulchre of a medieval knight put to rest with his faithful canine friend. I'll post some more NYC images later tonight if I can squeeze it in. Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment