Friday, September 18, 2009

My Bladder: A Mexican Chihuahua

I was in the Apple store today having my one-to-one lesson when I noticed a very distinguished Italian gentleman, Domenico, who was also having a lesson only he was accompanied by four Mexican Chihuahuas. Immediately I begged to take their pictures: Joconda, Boccacio, (I can't remember the other two names) and their master agreed. Seeing them brought me back to an illustration (above) I did quite a few years ago when I was working on the first draft of my memoir: The Confessions of a Self-Help Junkie. The book hasn't yet made it into print, but I'm still very occupied by many of its themes including the power of the Mind/Body connection. This is an excerpt from the 90s decade of the book that accompanied the illustration above. You'll find some pictures of today's chihuahuas after the excerpt. Please feel free to comment about any of these images or the excerpt. Do you believe in the power of the mind/body connection? Let me know what you think. Enjoy.

My Bladder: A Mexican Chihuahua

How can my bladder know when I’m nearing home? When we get within sight of my apartment building, it suddenly becomes hyperactive and wants to empty itself. Can my bladder read street signs or what! If it seems to know when I’m home, then maybe I can talk to this nervous, yet intelligent little organ. I experimented. I imagined my bladder was a yelping tiny chihuahua who needed some calming. I envisioned cuddling the frantic little canine against my shoulder and saying, “Just calm down! We’ll be home soon.” As I did this in the privacy of my own mind, I noticed that the fear of peeing in my pants vanished. Dignity returned as I made my way to the mailbox, the elevator, the keyhole, the coat rack and finally the toilet seat. If I can talk to my bladder then why can’t I talk to all the other parts of me?

Here's Greg, one of the excellent, brilliant One to One teachers at the Boylston St. Apple store. He's cuddling Domenico's most recent arrival: Jocunda.

2 comments:

  1. This post is wonderful. First of all I love One to One (I have learned so much form those gals & guys!) -- and then there is the Bladder -- oh, my I think yoga may have cured that hyper-active bladder I had! It was extreme before TT, and then after I have seldom experienced it -- but I think it has got to do with strenthening pelvic muscles! Which reminds me - I should do some excercises -- it's been a while! I love thinking about your bladder as a little hyper dog you got to calm down...thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Yoga Talk Yelba,
    Thanks for the comments. Yes, since creating that illustration back in the 90s, I, too, have received a great reprieve from an overactive bladder as long as I keep my yoga practice up. Even if I don't make it to class and do my postures at home, that's one condition that responds well to the yoga whether or not it's in a heated room. Thanks again for writing. DB

    ReplyDelete